Washington County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of 2010, the population was 54,876. Washington County is located in Southwest Virginia. Interstate 81 runs through the county’s central valley and intersects with Interstate 77 approximately 55 miles northeast of the Town of Abingdon, Washington County’s seat of government.
Washington County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of 2010, the population was 54,876. Its county seat is Abingdon. Washington County is part of the Kingsport–Bristol (TN)–Bristol (VA) Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is a component of the Johnson City–Kingsport–Bristol, TN-VA Combined Statistical Area – commonly known as the “Tri-Cities” region.
In 1999, Abingdon, Virginia combined efforts with Bristol, VA/TN, Johnson City, TN, and Kingsport, TN to compete as a combined Tri-Cities area in the All-America City competition. The effort worked and our Tri-Cities region of NE Tennessee and SW Virginia was awarded the title of one of ten All-America Cities.
Evan Shelby Monument East Hill Cemetery
600 block State Street, Bristol, Virginia
General Evan Shelby (c. 1720–1794), was born in Wales and took part in the French and Indian War. He commanded a company of militia from Sullivan County at the battle of Point Pleasant, and was the leader of the famous Chickamauga expedition. Shelby moved to the Bristol area in about 1773. He served as brigadier general of the militia of the frontier district of North Carolina. His very unusual coffin-shaped cast-iron monument is located in Bristol’s East Hill Cemetery.
Abingdon Muster Ground Interpretive Center
1780 Muster Place, Abingdon, Virginia
The northern trailhead for the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, the Abingdon Muster Ground is the regional center for American revolutionary period history. This is the place where local soldiers gathered to march to battle. Exhibits help visitors discover what life was like for the Overmountain men, backcountry women, African-Americans and Native Americans, as well as British Loyalists. The gift shop provides gifts, books, and historical reproductions.
222 East Main Street, Abingdon, Virginia
The Tavern, the oldest of Abingdon’s historic buildings and thought to be one of the oldest structures in Washington County, was built in 1779. Originally known as Yancy’s Tavern, it has had such guests as Henry Clay; Louis Philippe, King of France; President Andrew Jackson; and Pierre Charles L’Enfant, designer of Washington D.C. Today it is a fine restaurant.
Martha Washington Inn
150 West Main Street, Abingdon, Virginia
The Martha Washington Inn is a historic hotel located in Abingdon, Virginia. The unusually elegant and substantial house was built in 1832 by General Francis Preston, hero of the War of 1812, for his family of nine children. The building has served since then as a women’s college, a Civil War hospital and barracks, and as a residence for visiting actors of the Barter Theatre. The hotel has been restored in recent years and, with the nearby Barter Theater, forms the centerpiece of downtown Abingdon.
Historical Society of Washington County
306 Depot Street, Abingdon, Virginia
Washington County was formed in 1776. The town of Abingdon has served as Washington County’s transportation, commercial, and political hub since it was laid out in 1778. Its location on the Great Road and later the Southwestern Turnpike brought prosperity. The Historical Society of Washington County is housed in the restored Abingdon Train Depot. The Society is available for genealogical and historical research, including local and regional history, published genealogies, and family histories.